Years ago, I read an article entitled, Tips to a Better Sleep, which offered common sense sleep tips that, unfortunately for many people, are not common knowledge.
Here are some sleep tips that the article offered, along with some updates for today’s world –
1. Consistency – Go to bed and wake up around the same time every day.
2. Wind Down Routine – Find a 20 – 30 minute routine to wind down mentally and physically.
3. Make Your Bedroom a Sanctuary – It’s a place to rest. Make it comfortable and welcoming.
4. Bedroom Environment – Don’t fall asleep to music or the TV. It can make the difference between deep sleep and a few hours of rest. This is true for lit tablets too. Do not read with a lit tablet before you go to sleep.
5. Filter Out Noise – If your bedroom is near external noise, invest in a white noise machine to filter out surrounding noise. Do not keep your cell phone on or in a place you can hear it (or feel the vibration) while you are sleeping.
6. Take a Hot Bath or Shower – A hot bath or shower will help you fall asleep quicker and have a better sleep.
7. Exercise – Exercise vigorously during the day (but not before bed).
8. Avoid Alcohol – Drinking before bed means you rarely experience deep sleep.
Another thing that can hinder getting better sleep is sleeping in an uncomfortable bed. A memory foam mattress can help you sleep more comfortably and more soundly. Check out Healthy Foundations for more info.